Blue Ridge SWCD Poster Contest Rules
- The Conservation Poster Contest is open to kindergarten through twelfth grade students and entered into one of the grade divisions (K-1; 2-3; 4-6; 7-9; 10-12).
- Poster size must be within 8.5”x11” (letter-size) to 22”x28” (full-size poster board)
- Posters must be hand-drawn. Any media may be used to create a flat poster including: paint, crayon, colored pencil, charcoal, stickers, paper, and/or other materials.
- All posters must be created by an individual student, rather than a team of students. Entries must be a contestant’s original creation and may not be traced from photographs or other artist’s published works.
- The 2022 Stewardship theme “Healthy Soil Healthy Life” must be included on the front side of each poster submission to be eligible for the national poster contest.
- Each entry must be submitted with a completed entry form attached to the back of the poster. This entry form must be signed by a parent or guardian to be eligible for the contest.
- Posters are due to the Blue Ridge SWCD office by Friday, September 16, 2022 by the close of business. Posters may be mailed or dropped off at the district office.
- Although younger students will most likely receive help in planning from parents and/or teachers, Blue Ridge SWCD encourages each student to do their own work. Note: Entries with student handwriting and coloring will score higher than those designed, drawn and colored by adult assistance.
- Posters entered into the national competition must have been judged by the Blue Ridge SWCD sponsored poster contest and the VASWCD sponsored poster contest.
- The 1st place poster in each category will be submitted to the VASWCD. The winners of the state contest will receive a prize and move on to the NACD Poster Contest. The top three posters (in each category) of the national contest will receive monetary prizes. First place winners will receive $200, second place winners will receive $150 and 3rd place winners will receive $100. Monetary prizes at the national level are sponsored by the NACD Auxiliary from their quilt project and the Albert I Pierce Foundation.
- Any Scout who creates a poster and submits to Blue Ridge SWCD to earn the VASWCD Poster Contest Patch must request a patch on the completed entry form submitted with his or her poster.
- All posters will be returned to participants after the contest(s) are completed.
Poster Contest Entries are reviewed by the Blue Ridge SWCD Scholarship/Youth Committee based on the following criteria:
- Conservation message (50 percent) (Poster uses correct theme)
- Visual effectiveness (30 percent)
- Originality (10 percent) and
- Universal appeal (10 percent)